27.8.2014

Ordinary Days in Life - "Arki" in FInnish

I have been thinking about this word "Arki". It does not exist in any other language than Finnish (not that I know of anyway). I looked it up in a dictionary and it was translated "Ordinary or **Non-special days of life**". Hmmm. How can we Finns live non-special days of life, most of our lives?

Many Finns live "Arki" 110%. In Arki it is ok to complain, to be bored,  just survive, pay the bills, plan the duties, execute what ever is needed in Maslow hierarchy the bottom layer (ok, maybe 2 bottoms).

I DISLIKE THAT WORD!! It should be deleted from Finnish vocabulary as the connotation to the word has become so dark, or at least it is used that way. It also gives you a great  excuse to play small if you want. Not to go after your dreams, not to challenge yourself, not to live fully, not to enjoy.  "Well, this is my "arki", I will have my holiday next year, already counting days for that..."

What if, just asking, every day was a small celebration? A small celebration of existing, breathing, having beautiful people around, being able to choose anything, express self, enjoy, laugh, smell, touch, relate, just be, love deeply. It is a perception of the reality. Only. You can shift it if you want.

Could we start using the "arki" differently  and  soon find it translated in a dictionary as "Everyday series of tiny celebrations or "Special days of life?"

See my whole August Newsletter with my current favourite recipe and new training idea here:


2 kommenttia:

  1. Erja, once again, You tuch me with those words - they could be coming from my inner soul as well. Thanks <3

    VastaaPoista